my Breast Cancer blog

2004, age 34 — this is my story

12 comments

• Anonymous on 7/26/2009 at 6:30 pm said:

On my sofa, in the living room, nursing my son…that’s where I found the first lump. The second two I found the next morning while sitting at the table with my husband discussing getting the mammogram script for the first lump. When I realized there were two more I said, “I’m so screwed.”

Tomorrow they may finally be gone.

This was a clever and poingnant post.

• madalena on 7/27/2009 at 4:51 am said:

It was a total surprise. I didn’t feel it. Nobody couldn’t. I could feel other “things” in my breast but this was so hidden and it was so small that only the “exam” could show it.

• Jean on 7/28/2009 at 4:01 am said:

Also in the shower three years ago. I can still remember how I froze knowing deep inside exactly what it was: breast cancer. the aggressive kind. Today I’m an ardent if nervous breast-fondler:) And the shower will never be the same.

• In the bathroom mirror. My lump was so close to the surface that I could see it in the mirror. I had already had a benign lump in the other breast so I wasn’t actually worried at all. I just assumed it was another benign lump. I even laughed about it with my husband saying that I was just a lumpy girl.

It was not until I went in to have it examined and they started talking about blood supply and lymph nodes that I realized I was in trouble. Now I look in that mirror every day. There are scars and my breasts look completely different than they did before, but I am still grateful to get up and be able to look in the mirror every day.

• Anonymous on 7/31/2009 at 8:35 pm said:

Found mine in the shower too, about a week after my clean, perfect, normal, annual mammography.

• i didn’t find mine – a routine screening mammogram did…even the surgeon couldn’t feel it….

• Laura on 8/14/2009 at 2:19 am said:

In the bathtub. Home on a Fri. night alone. Enjoying the quiet. It was 3-4cm… and it was not there two weeks prior at my yearly physical. We all thought it was a cyst. It went from feeling nothing but seeing a little ” shadow” on the mamo… to the size a a large grape two weeks later.
    Her2+… and it had gotten in my nodes. The year before.. nothing showed on my mamo and ultrasound.

• Found mine in the shower – in October 2006 – pretty big. Mammogram in Nov said not to worry. I worried! Second opinion in February 2007, ultrasound, biopsy, 4cm spread to lymph nodes. It’s August 2009 and amazingly, I’m still here.

• Nancy on 8/20/2009 at 10:03 pm said:

Found mine laying in bed. Woke up last Jan. with soreness under my arm and when I rubbed it I felt a lump. I was lucky. It was early, just stage 1. Just finished 6 months of chemo, radiation and a lumpectomy.

• Kathie on 9/21/2009 at 7:28 pm said:

I didn’t find mine… the mammogram was “normal” Thank God my ARNP ordered an ultrasound to go with the mammogram…

• Your website is entertaining, inspiring and informative! I’d love to talk to you about your journey and inspiration as a blogger.

Megan