my Breast Cancer blog

2004, age 34 — this is my story

I Quit

crazy boys

Where I'd rather be!

I quit my job, the one where I’ve been writing and editing for the website That’s Fit. It’s a bold move, I know, but in order to practice what I preach, I had to do it. You see, I tell people all the time — especially cancer survivors — that stress can really muck up the body, and anyone who’s been given a second chance at life (like me) should really try to stay as healthy as possible.

So here I’ve been, working way too many hours and virtually drowning in my workload. In theory, the job was ideal: Work in the morning while my boys are in school, spend care-free afternoons and evenings together and then do a little more work after putting them to bed. Essentially, my children would be totally not affected by my work. I’d still be a stay-at-home mom, with a little job on the side. Gosh, that would have been nice. But it didn’t happen that way. I mean, it started out OK, but then my job turned into a completely different monster. That chatty diet and fitness blog that allowed for flexible mommy schedules morphed into something much more deadline-driven. It’s turning into a newsroom, which is great for folks who like newsrooms, but frankly, there’s someplace I’d rather be.

I’d rather be playing in the front yard, watching my boys hunt for bugs, instead of on the porch steps, balancing a laptop on my legs and peeking at them in between e-mails and edits. I want to be volunteering in their classrooms and going on field trips, not picking and choosing what I can do because I’ll feel guilty if I take too much time off. I want to be watching Joey play baseball without my cell phone beeping in the bleachers, and when Danny says, “Mom, look at this!” I want to go running, instead of responding with my canned, “in a minute.” I mostly want to look back years from now and know I soaked up every second of Joey and Danny. I want no regrets. And at the pace I’d been keeping, regrets were inevitable.

This has not been an easy decision to make. For one, I’d gotten pretty greedy about the money that was rolling into our bank account — it’s allowed for a nice cushion, a lot of out-to-eats and a few pricey weekend vacations. Plus, I really, really like writing and editing, and I’ve met some great people whose paths I won’t cross as often as I’d like. And honestly, the time I’m getting back by quitting my job is going to be too much — I like a schedule, a purpose, some responsibility. That’s why I’ll search for something else. Not sure what, but I’ll find something that better suits my needs. First, though, I think I’ll read a book (for pleasure!) and attend my kids’ school functions, update some scrapbooks and let my insides settle down for a bit. Then maybe I’ll take 8-year-old Joey’s advice: “Just get a job at a car dealership and be done with it,” he said after spotting me upset about my job one day. He’s all about cars and shoes lately, so maybe he’s onto something, who knows. What I do know is that he’s aware that my job has gotten out of hand, and that’s reason enough to bid farewell to the stress of it all.

So, goodbye That’s Fit.

And, hello happier me.

Posted under: My Story

11 comments

• LA on 10/20/2009 at 8:47 pm said:

Yay! Thank you for role modeling balance and priorities! Live life with no regrets and cherish the moments are great guidelines.

• Jessica on 10/20/2009 at 9:02 pm said:

Jacki, I know how hard that was for you to do, but I applaud you one hundred percent. No way will you regret this in the long run (short run, sure, but who doesn’t have short term regrets that disappear when we look at the arc of our lives). Good for you, girl!!!!!!

• Cheryl Crano-Jorgensen on 10/20/2009 at 9:02 pm said:

Jacki,

I totally understand everything you just said. I just recently quit my job also and let me tell you the free time is so much nicer then the stress that gave me the extra cash. I wish you luck on what ever your new adventure is and enjoy your boys while you can. They grow up way to fast.

• Jane Donaldson on 10/20/2009 at 9:47 pm said:

Listen to Joey ! He won’t steer you wrong. He always makes me laugh ! Stress eats every cell in our bodies. You made the right choice, my Sweet Pea.

• Rachael Donaldson on 10/20/2009 at 10:55 pm said:

I think you’ve made the right decision for you and your family. Often times I wonder if my job will suitable for us when we have a child/children, and I am prepared to make a career change if necessary. Family comes first!

…and if you end up at that shoe store, please let me know! I love shoes! (especially the expensive ones that come with a sweet family & friends discount!) :)

Congratulations!

• April on 10/21/2009 at 9:03 am said:

Isn’t it funny how so many mom’s share the same feelings. I was teaching an Adult Ed. class two afternoons a week and just recently decided it was turning into more than it was supposed to be, so I quit as well. Like you I thought two afternoons would be doable, but it turns into more and more. After the way the first part of 2009 went, I am ready to live stress-free( if that is possible) for awhile and enjoy everything about the girls. I give so much credit to the mom’s that work full time and can handle that. I am thankful that doesn’t have to be me right now. I always love your messages you write and the advice you share. I also wish we lived closer so we could share these times face to face, but I always look forward to your words and carrying them with me every day. Enjoy the next bug hunt. Talk soon!

• Thanks Jacki for another inspiring post! May we all strive to live a stress-free life abd to enjoy all those amazing tiny moments with our little ones.:)

• Gerry on 10/23/2009 at 12:22 am said:

Hi Jacki;

I applaud you as well. Life is too short and streess is not a good comination with any condition. I am fitness trainer and have recently been introduced to an incredible product that has proven to be extremely beneficial for survivors of cancer, stress, energy ……. your overall health. I think this could really help you. Let me know if you would like to try it and I will send you a month sample. Take Care …. keep up your strength.

• Hi Jacki,

I just came across your blog and think it is great. I think you have a great outlook and are taking the right steps. Unfortunately, many people wouldn’t be able to take the bold steps you are to ensure a healthier more balanced life. Congratulations.

As a fellow blogger, I would love to get your thoughts on our site. Day1 really emphasized the philosophy that you should live each day as though it is your first. Go at life with a renewed spirit each day, doing what you can to improve.

Keep up the great work!

• Well said and well done Jacki,
    Having lost my mother in January to Breast Cancer, I am currently feeling the same way about everything that you’ve written. My priorities and life have been flipped upside down and the success that has come from a few things in my life has dramatically interfered with what I’ve always thought was important…and now know is. My family..my children. Letting go of some projects will make you better at the ones you still do. I’ve realized that just because I can do them all, doesnt mean I should. Very well said Jacki. Congrats on being true to yourself.