my Breast Cancer blog

2004, age 34 — this is my story

Quick MRI Results Not a Good Sign

1. Incomplete MRI of right breast with new conglomerate of small enhancing foci in the retroareolar region and non-mass-like enhancement of posterior breast as detailed above. Malignant and infectious/inflammatory etiologies are considered. A second look with ultrasound is recommended to evaluate for discreet lesion that would be amenable to biopsy. If ultrasound in unsuccessful, MRI-guided biopsy should be considered.

2. Normal left breast MRI.

Next up: ultrasound, early next week.

Funny thing: seven years ago, just before Thanksgiving, it all happened pretty much like this.

Of course, it could be nothing.

Or it could be something.

I just want to know.

Posted under: Awareness, My Story, Survivors, Tests

14 comments

• Ericha on 11/10/2011 at 5:35 pm said:

Prayers, hugs, positive thoughts…I will hope and pray and croos everything that it is nothing!

• i vote for NOTHING.
    Sending love (and an extra dose of patience because waiting is so tough)

• Jen Weeks on 11/10/2011 at 7:01 pm said:

I’m thinking the only thing I like about this post is the “non mass like” description. I’m definitely not liking that you have to wait and ponder until early next week. I’m thinking dense, cystic tissue. I have some this year that I didn’t have last year. I’m thinking that seven years is a long time and they are looking VERY closely not to miss a thing. Thinking of you this weekend. Hugs.

• Jacki on 11/10/2011 at 7:23 pm said:

Thank you, everyone. And Jen, the “non mass like” is what worries me, because I have this fear of Inflammatory breast cancer, and it does not present with a mass. The whole “inflammatory” thing in the MRI report started this worry rolling, and then I put some pieces together, like a patch of dermatitis I showed the dermatologist at my skin biopsy appt. this week, some itchy skin, etc. I am hoping like mad that my fears are getting the best of me, because IBC is rare, and I’m sure there are so many other reasons to explain it away. Still, I’m all over the place! Can’t a skin cancer scare be the worst of my concerns? Geez!

• LaShonna Gojkov on 11/10/2011 at 8:46 pm said:

Please know that I am sending nothing but positive thoughts your way. You are an inspiration to so many. Thank you for being you!!!!

• Jen Weeks on 11/10/2011 at 10:26 pm said:

Hmmm, I had to do a little background research on IBC. I hadn’t heard much about that. It seems really unlikely. Your first bout was not IBC. Also, there seem to be a lot of symptoms associated with that type of cancer that you aren’t experiencing. It would seem more likely that you would have the same type of cancer return, not something that is altogether different.

• Jacki on 11/10/2011 at 10:39 pm said:

Thank you for that, Dr. Jen (you are actually Dr. Jen, aren’t you?). I appreciate the unbiased opinion — something I don’t have, having been through one breast cancer already. The mind plays crazy games when an MRI report points to a possible malignancy, you know? You made me feel better:) (And my first cancer was invasive ductal carcinoma.)

• Vicki on 11/10/2011 at 10:53 pm said:

Jacki- I just wanted to let you know that I’m keeping you in my prayers and sending much love your way!

• Kathy Nichols on 11/11/2011 at 8:36 pm said:

I’m thinking about and praying for you, Jacki. I’m glad you have an awesome family and friends who can hopefully help keep you busy and positive-thinking this weekend. Maybe some romantic comedy flicks and piano recitals by Joey and Danny?

• Sarah on 11/12/2011 at 6:58 am said:

Dr Jen is on the job! I’m going with ‘it’ nothing” as well.